Massac County, Illinois
The Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto and his soldiers may have built a fort nearby as early as 1540. Maps from the early 18th century show an “Ancien Fort” (“Old Fort”) near this location.
The reconstructed Fort Massac facing the Ohio River shoreline in 2010
Fort Massac was built by the French in 1757, during the French and Indian War and was originally called “Fort de L’Ascension”. The name was changed in 1759, to honor of Claud Louis d’Espinchal, Marquis de Massiac, the French Naval Minister. Massiac is a French town in the Cantal department.
The French left the fort at the conclusion of the war, and it was destroyed by the Chickasaw sometime after 1763. In 1778, during the American Revolutionary War, Colonel George Rogers Clark led his regiment of “Long Knives” into Illinois near the site of the fort at Massac Creek.[a] The fort was rebuilt in 1794, during the Northwest Indian War.